This is a blog post that is really important and something I wanted to share with you. In the last year, I’ve gone through big changes in my life. The only thing that got me to refocus on myself again and cope with some rough times was practising self-care. I really believe this can help you even when you’re not going through a rough time but just to spend some time with yourself.
Why I started doing self-care
I started adopting self-care because I wasn’t in touch with myself anymore and to be honest I can’t remember the last time I even asked myself “Are you okay?”.
My best friend and I had this conversation in the car once where she told me that we always take days off work for our physical health but never for our mental health. It made realise that I never really took time off for myself. So I started to do small self-care habits here and there, and now, I do one self-care activity every day.
It really helps me stay in tune with myself and to be honest the most important person you should take care of first so you can be your best self, is you! When you feel good and you’re at your best self, you can be your best self to others too.
As a woman, we NEED to practice self-care
I always feel guilty that I don’t do enough for my friends & family, that I don’t do enough in my day job, that I don’t work hard at the gym and even this blog, I feel I’m never doing enough! I’m quite critical of myself and it’s something I am working on now.
Me being a busy woman, I notice when I make time for myself to refocus on what I need mentally and physically, I notice I’m so much better in all the other parts of my life. I’m a better girlfriend to my girls, I’m a better worker at work and I feel better doing everything else in my life that requires my attention.
Simple self-care tips
I’m going to share you a long list of self-care that you can do yourself. These ideas are from friends, the internet, Pinterest and various of other sources so I’m not going to take full credit for these.
But I do think it’s important to share these tips with my readers and followers because I really do believe that self-care is important to help you take time out of the day for you. The first step is to make time for it otherwise you’ll never do it!
- Read your favourite book
- Take a long hot bath
- Get your eyebrows done
- Light your favourite candle
- Book an appointment to get a manicure and/or pedicure
- Take 10 mins to meditate. I use the Headspace app to be mindful.
- Drive to your favourite walking track and spend time walking outside. I live in Sydney so my favourite spots are the Bay Run and the Bondi to Coogee walk. Be in tune with nature it’s really the best!
- Bake your favourite sweet treat. I like to bake scones or brownies!
- Take yourself on a date and go see a movie!
- Write a list of things you are grateful for today.
- Listen to your favourite playlist.
- Make a hot cup of tea. Something warm is soothing and comforting!
- If you have a furry friend, cuddle them!
- Say your affirmations out loud. My favourite affirmation I say every morning is – “Waking up this morning I smile, I have 24 hours to live, I vow to live them deeply and to learn to look at the beings around me with the eyes of compassion” – Thich Nhat Hanh
Feel free to save this handy FREE infographic to keep the ideas for yourself or pin this.
Do you have self-care tips that you’d like to share or do yourself, please share with us in the comments below!